The earthy flavors of roasted Brussels sprouts topped with the sweet, savory, and tangy black garlic sauce packs a lot of flavor. This is a simple quick and delicious vegetable side dish full of umami flavor.
Prep the Brussels sprouts
Start with fresh Brussels sprouts that are bright green and look fresh. Check the ends to make sure they aren’t too brown or old looking. Rinse the sprouts and trim the bottom edge off. Make sure to not cut too high or it will separate the leaves from the base. Cut in half to speed up the cooking time. The other goal is to make sure that the sizes are even. For extra large sprouts cut them into quarters. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Add the seasoned Brussels sprouts to a parchment lined baking sheet and add to 400 degrees oven for 20-25 minutes.
Prepare the black garlic sauce
While the Brussels sprouts are roasting prepare the black garlic sauce. The black garlic sauce works great drizzled over Brussels sprouts. Black garlic sauce only requires a few simple ingredients.
- black garlic cloves
- olive oil
- white wine vinegar
- water (to thin)
Start by cutting the top off the black garlic or pull the garlic paper off and remove the cloves. The cloves should be easy to remove from the head as they become separated from the skin during the dehydrating process. The cloves are soft and can be sticky so try not to squeeze the cloves out like you might roasted garlic.
After removing the cloves from the paper smash them with a fork and chop if necessary to get them fine. Add to bowl with the oil and vinegar and whisk hard to combine or add to a food processor for a smooth sauce. Add water to thin the sauce to your preference.
Check for doneness after 20 minutes. Make sure to try the stalk portion as that takes the longest to become tender.
Plate the Brussels sprouts and drizzle with the black garlic sauce. As seen below the sauce was quite thick which turned out tasty, but it can be thinned out if it looks to globular and is hard to “drizzle.”
Serve and enjoy these roasted Brussels sprouts drizzled with black garlic sauce. Yum!Print
Roasted Brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt, and pepper are a simple, quick and delicious vegetable side dish. To add a punch of flavor, a quick black garlic sauce comprised of black garlic, olive oil, and vinegar will provide a tangy umami flavor that highlights the earthy Brussels sprouts.
- 1 lb. brussel sprouts
- 1/2 tsp. salt and ground pepper to taste
Black Garlic Sauce
- 1 head black garlic
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1.5 tbs. white wine vinegar
- 2 tbs water (add more to thin)
Prepare the Brussels sprouts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prep the the Brussels sprouts by rinsing them, trimming off the ends, and cutting in half or quarters depending on size. Same sized sprouts will cook more evenly.
- Spread Brussels sprouts in single later on the parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes depending on the size and preference for doneness.
Prepare the black garlic sauce
- Remove the garlic paper/skin and remove the black garlic cloves
- Smash the cloves with a fork and chop fine.
- Add cloves to olive oil and vinegar. Whisk vigorously or blend in food processor till smooth.
Assemble the dish
- Add the roasted Brussels sprouts to serving dish and drizzle with black garlic sauce. Enjoy!
- Black garlic is thick and pasty. Add water to thin to your preferred consistency.
- This recipe may produce more sauce than you need for the Brussels sprouts. Consider thinning the leftover sauce and using the following day as a vegetable dip or salad dressing.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 120
- Sugar: 2.5g
- Sodium: 30mg
- Fat: 7.4g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.3g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 12.5g
- Fiber: 4.5
- Protein: 4.3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: brussels sprouts, vegetables, vegetarian, side dish, black garlic, sauce
Tell us, how did you like the recipe? How do you use black garlic? Let us know as a comment below.