Baking tofu changes the texture of the tofu. The outside will be nice and crispy, and the outside will be pillowy soft. I typically make this when the tofu is going into another dish as a meat substitute rather than a stand-alone side. The options for marinades to use for baked tofu are endless and may depend on what you have on hand.
1. Wrap tofu in kitchen towel and press to reduce water.
2. Slice tofu into four slabs.
3. Cut tofu into thirds then long thin pieces.
4. Combine tofu and marinade and toss.
5. After marinading drain excess liquid and toss with cornstarch.
This step is important to get the cornstarch to stick to the tofu. Without draining the liquid the cornstarch ends up dripping all over the baking sheet instead of on the tofu.
6. Add tofu to parchment lined baking sheet
Separate the tofu so it does not touch to allow for increased browning of the tofu.
6. Bake for 25-30 mins.
7. Serve and enjoy warm.
Crispy Baked Tofu RecipePrint
This crispy baked tofu takes just a few minutes to prep and can be added to other dishes such as a stir fry, moo shu vegetables or eaten alone over rice or grains. Whatever ingredients you marinade it in will soak into the tofu. The longer you marinade it, the more flavors will be soaked into the tofu. In this recipe, we are just marinading for 10-15 minutes due to time constraints, but it can always be marinaded for hours or even overnight for a stronger flavor.
- One (14-16oz) tub firm or extra firm tofu
- 3 tbs. soy sauce
- 1–2 tbs. sesame oil
- 1 tbs. rice vinegar
- 1–2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp. fresh ginger
- fresh ground pepper
Corn Starch (for crispiness)
- 1–2 tbs. corn starch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drain tofu and wrap in a kitchen towel. Press to help drain the water. Let drain for at least 10 minutes.
- Slice tofu until four pieces, stack the slices, cut into thirds and then into long thin rectangles.
- Mix marinade and toss with the tofu. Let sit for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Drain excess marinade and toss with cornstarch.
- Add tofu to parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- If you don’t have fresh garlic or ginger you can use dried spices, only add about 1/4 tsp of the dried ginger or garlic granules.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with the ratios or ingredients.
- Try adding mirin or honey for a slightly sweeter baked tofu.
- To drain the tofu, consider putting a book on top of the tofu wrapped in a kitchen towel.
- Trying cutting tofu into different shapes such as cubes, rectangles, thin strips, and triangles.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 81
- Sugar: 0.2g
- Sodium: 680mg
- Fat: 5.2g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.4g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 4.8g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: tofu, baked tofu, marinade, healthy